- Wednesday Walkers
- Wednesday October 12th: We will hike to the larches, a grove found in the hills above the north shore of the Nechako River. If our timing is right, the larches will have donned their golden fall colours, and if the sun graces us with its presence, we’ll have a fine view of the Nechako.
- Wednesday October 26th: Anne Allgaier will lead us as we continue our exploration of the relatively flat, wooded trails from the end of Pardon Road on Cranbrook Hill.
These walks are open to members and non-members and are suitable for adults and mature teens. Meet under the large Save-On sign at Spruceland Shopping Centre at 5th Avenue and Central Street, for car pooling and the usual waiver-signing, in time for a prompt 9:30 a.m. departure. Walks finish at around noon. Natural history guide books, binoculars and cameras will be useful. Please leave dogs at home. For more information on the walks, contact Dora Hunter at 250 596-6772.
Save the dates: Walks take place the second and fourth Wednesdays in September, October and November and on the second Wednesday of the month December through March.
- Club Presentations Night, 7:00 pm, Thursday, 20 October, Exploration Place
This will be a mixed bag of updates, presentations, and member feedback, covering the BC Nature Fall General Meeting, the Wetland Project, the City’s Signage program, members’ wishes for future events, and – for a change of pace – a short presentation on birding in Iceland.
- Wetland Project – Invasive Species Control
CKPG recently ran a news item on the project, and it can be still be seen at: http://www.ckpg.com/2016/10/03/invasive-plants-removed-from-hudsons-bay-wetland/
|Invasive Plants Removed From Hudson’s Bay Wetland
The Prince George Naturalists Club has completed its first initiative to remove invasive plants on both sides …
If you’ve been trying and failing to send messages to ncenbird, the problem is not with your computer, but at the ISP end.
- Utube: hiking and camping in the Canadian Rockies
Mike Nash has a new uTube slideshow on his recent 12-day trip at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nWvFKMEBmc&feature=youtu.be
|Hiking the Canadian Rockies
12 days hiking and camping in the Canadian Rockies
The following events from other groups may be of interest to PGNC members:
- 18th Annual Run/Walk, GREENWAY TRAIL, Sunday, October 9, 2016
The Club is a member of the Greenway Society: to take part in the 18 k run/walk, Register at the Otway Ski Center, between 8:15am and 930am on the morning of the event. Walkers will carpool from Otway at 8:30, and runners carpool at 9:30. Cost: donation to the Greenway Society. For more Information call Dick Voneugen at 250 962-7672.
- Wild Ways: Corridors of Life, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, October 25th, Canfor Theatre, UNBC
This free movie is organized and hosted by UNBC graduate student Tim Burkhart of the Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative. He writes: “Wild Ways demonstrates, through a message of hope, how some of the world’s most beloved species can be preserved by linking the world’s wildlife refuges through safe highway passage and open land.”
- Huble Homestead Old Fashioned Thanksgiving, Monday, October 10, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
See www.hublehomestead.ca for details.